A Rare Constabulary Pistol marked to The Hyde Division. With sighted octagonal barrel retains traces of the original engraving, â€˜HYDE DIVISION No. 2â€™ along the top flat, some slight pitting, engraved tang, foliate engraved back-action lock, signed â€˜HIATTâ€™ fitted with a sliding safety catch that locks the cock at half-cock, full-stocked in walnut, chequering rubbed, repairs to the stock, with belt hook, trigger guard, engraving rubbed with stylised pineapple finial, and ramrod pipes with captive ramrod.
In the Autumn of 1856 as a result of the County and Borough Police Act 1856. Cheshire Justices were obliged to establish a paid Police Force for the whole of each County area including Hyde which at that formed part of Cheshire. In 1899 Hyde established its own Constabulary. In 1947 Hyde became part of the Cheshire Constabulary and now forms part of the Greater Manchester Policing area. Hiatt of Birmingham were renowned makers of early Police handcuffs and other Police equipment.
Bore: 16 Bore
Barrel Length: 7.5 Inches (19.05 cm)
Overall Length: 13 Inches (33.02 cm)