A Good Pair of Flintlock Holster Pistols by Brander of London. With swamped brass barrels signed, ‘LONDON’ and stamped with London proofs and Branders own barrel smith mark, foliate engraved steel tangs, border engraved locks, signed in script below the pans, full-stocked in walnut with raised mouldings around the tangs, engraved brass mounts comprising pierced floral side-plates, long eared butt-caps and trigger guards decorated with a star burst on the bow and with acorn finials, turned ramrod pipes with original horn tipped ramrods with worms. In nice untouched, ‘sleepy’ condition.
Brander, W. (3 generations) [1690-1750]
Shop located in the Minories, London. Made brass barrel flintlock carbine for the East India Company and flintlock coach pistols. For the next two generations known as W. B. Brander in the Minories from 1750 to 1825 and they had extensive Royal Government contracts for flintlock holster pistols and flintlock muskets. The name changed to Brander & Potts at 70 Minories with another shop at Winchelsea, from 1825 to 1832.
A. Merwyn Carey (1954) English, Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers, Acro Publishing Company, New York.
BRANDER & POTTS
Martin Brander & Thomas Potts,
Gunmakers, 70 Minories and Goodman's Yard., 1802-27. Succeeded by Thomas Potts. Contractors to Ordnance, 1815-1820.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 8 Inches (20.32 cm)
Overall Length: 13 Inches (33.02 cm)