A Flintlock Tap-Action Pistol by H.W. Mortimer. With round turn-off barrels decorated with a band of geometric shapes at the breech, border engraved box-lock action decorated on both sides, signed ‘H. W. Mortimer’ on a scroll decorated with foliage and stands of arms and on the other side, ‘Gun Maker to his majesty’ on a panel surrounded by stands of arms, fitted with sliding safety catch that also locks the pan, slab sided walnut butt.
Harvey Walklate Son of Samuel Mortimer born 1753, Apprenticed to father 1772; free of farriers Co., 1782; elected assistant, 1807. Gunmaker at Mr Greens ironmonger, 6 King St., Drury Lane, 1775; 41 Great Queen St., Lincoln’s Inn Fields, 1779; 89 Fleet Street., 1782-99. Appointed Gunmaker to George III, 1783. Contractor to East India Co., 1796-1806. Specialised in repeating pistols and gold mounted guns for the Eastern market. Retired 1811, died 1819.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Bore: 54 Bore
Barrel Length: 1.5 Inches (3.81 cm)
Overall Length: 6.5 Inches (16.51cm)