A Flintlock Officers Pistol by H. Nock of London. With sighted octagonal barrel, engraved ‘H NOCK LONDON’ along the top-flat, engraved steel tang fitted with rear sight, stepped bevelled lock fitted with a sliding safety catch, decorated with scrolling foliage and star bursts by the pan and on the tail of the lock, full-stocked in walnut, cut with chequering at the grip, engraved steel mounts comprising large trigger guard decorated with a stand of arms on the bow with pineapple finial, turned ramrod pipes with original horn tipped ramrod.
New pattern lock rejected by Ordnance in 1770. Gunlock smith. Made set of gauges for Gunmakers Company Proof House, 1781. Free of Gunmakers Co., by redemption 1784. Took Livery, 1795. Elected Assistant, 1798; Master 1802. Appointed Gunsmith-in-Ordinary to George III, 1789. In celebration of King's health recovery, displayed at Ludgate Hill 'an Imperial Crown, beautifully ornamented and very rich illumination of coloured lamps' (St. James's Chronicle, 25 April 1789). Made 7-barrelled rifled and pistol for Prince of Wales, 1790-2 (Royal Collection at Windsor Nos 154, 203). Contractor to Ordnance, 1771-1804; East India Co. (and Royal East India Volunteer Regt.) made 7 barrel guns, 1780; screwless lock 1786; wall piece, 1788; Duke of Richmond's Musket, 1792; Royal Horse Artillery Pistol, 1793...succeeded by James Wilkinson.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.