A Brass Barrelled Flintlock Holster Pistol by Ketland & Co, London. With slightly swamped octagonal to round brass barrel, decorated with flowers around the moulding and engraved with scrolls towards the breech, stamped with London proofs, foliate engraved steel tang, border engraved lock, signed ‘Ketland & Co’ and decorated with scrolling foliage at the tail, replacement cock, full-stocked in walnut with raised apron around the tang, brass mounts comprising side plate, long eared. Butt cap, engraved with foliage and grotesque mask, trigger guard decorated with flower head on the bow, with acorn finial and brass ramrod pipes, replacement ramrod.
KETLAND & CO.
Wholesale Gun & Birmingham Warehouse, 2 Scots Yd., Bush Lane, Cannon Street., 1785-7; 10 Cannon St., 1788-9; 23 Abchurch Lane, Lombard Street, 17905; 1 Angel Ct., Throgmorton St., 1795-1800. Succeeded by James Ketland. It is not clear which members of the family continued this firm whose name with ‘LONDON’ appears on many export guns and locks. At least one directory entry shows W. Ketland & Co. at 23 Abchurch Lane, 1800.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 8 Inches (20.32 cm)
Overall Length: 14 Inches (35.56 cm)