A Flintlock Blunderbuss by Gill & Knubley. With octagonal to round three-stage barrel, belled at the muzzle, stamped ‘LONDON’ at the breech and struck with London proofs, border engraved at the breech end, foliate engraved steel tang, signed, stepped, bevelled lock, fitted with sliding safety catch full-stocked in walnut (a small area on the wrist appears to be burnt - see photographs) completed with brass military style furniture, comprising butt plate engraved with a shield surrounded by foliage, trigger guard decorated with foliage on the bow and with military style finial, turned ramrod pipes and original horn tipped ramrod.
John Gunmaker, Otley, Yorkshire, 1771 (IR). Earlier working dates indicated by silver-mounted pistol hall-marked for 1766. Sword cutler & gun-maker, 11 Charing Cross (taken over from Thomas Gill and next to Cullums) 1785-92; 7 Charing Cross, 1792-94. House in Angel Court, Charing Cross, damaged by riots, May 1794; another at No. 87 St Martin’s Lane, 1795. Gunmaker to Prince Edward. Contractor to Ordnance (cannon locks, trade muskets, pistols, broadswords), 1790-94. Died in 1795. Widow, Sarah, left business and estate in Otley, Yorkshire. Business taken over by Samuel Brunn and continued as Knubley & Co. or Knubley & Brunn, 1795-96. Brunn moved to 55 Charing Cross under his own name, 1797.
Thomas File and saw maker, Birmingham, from 1744. Made springs for Millers Flying Machine, c.1783. Became contractor to Ordnance for swords, firearms and ironmongery. Addresses in London: 11 Charing Cross, 1783-4. 22 Norfolk St., Strand, 1799-1800. Died 1801.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 15.5 Inches (39.5 cm)
Overall Length: 31 Inches (79 cm)