A Fine Cased Pair of Percussion Over and Under Pistols by Forsyth & Co, No, 4225 and 4226, Circa 1838. With border engraved case-hardened barrel-blocks each signed along the sighted top flat (one with minor bruising along one edge), nipple-bolsters each with pierced platinum plug, border engraved case-hardened actions decorated with foliate scrolls, dolphin hammers en suite and each with engraved safety-catch behind, finely chequered figured rounded butts each with blued hinged border engraved ovoidal butt-trap cover decorated with a flower-head, vacant silver escutcheons, blued foliate scroll engraved trigger-guards, blued triggers, the forward one hinged against a spring for a gloved hand, stirrup ramrods each retained by a clip on the blued under-rib, and retaining virtually all their original finish: in original mahogany case relined in blue velvet with some accessories including powder-flask, the interior of the lid (one corner chipped) with original lining and maker's trade label (damaged), the exterior of the lid (old splits) with circular vacant brass escutcheon centred on a folding brass carrying handle, London proof marks.
D.H.L. Back, Great British Gunmakers, Forsyth & Co.: Patent Gunmakers, 1995, p. 54
FORSYTH & CO.
A.J. Forsyth, J. Brougham & C.B. Uther (C.B. Other only from 1819), Patent Gun Manufacturers, 10 Piccadilly, 1809-16; 8 Leicester St, Leicester Square (pop. Sidneys Alley) 1816-52. Exhibited patent locks and safety gun, Great Exhibition, 1851.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 3 Inches (7.62 cm)
Overall Length: 7 Inches (17.78 cm)