A 40 bore boxlock, double-barrelled, over and under, turnover percussion overcoat pistol by Westley Richards, 6⅝" overall, screw barrels 1¾" with eight grooves for the barrel key, and engraved "3” and "4”, respectively, at the breech end. Border and foliate engraved breech with Birmingham view and proof marks, and engraved "3” and "4”. Border and foliate scroll engraved frame, signed on the left "Westley Richards London”, and case hardened border engraved dolphin head hammer. Border and foliate engraved breech tang, case hardened and foliate engraved sliding safety, border and foliate scroll engraved trigger butt strap, and folding trigger. Very finely chequered figured walnut butt, with silver oval shaped escutcheon, and case hardened border and foliate engraved butt cap, with hinged circular trap for caps, the trap cover foliate scroll engraved. Very good working order, and retaining traces of original finish. Circa 1840.
Note: Westley Richards traded from 170 New Bond Street from 1815 to 1917 (although the shop was re-numbered 178 New Bond Street in 1878), with William Bishop, known colloquially as "The Bishop of Bond Street”, as its agent from 1815 to 1871. Westley Richards was awarded a Royal Warrant of Appointment as Gun and Rifle Makers by H.R.H. Prince Albert on 1 July 1840.