A Brass-Framed Tap Action Pistol by H. Nock. With turn-off barrels, the top barrel stamped ‘1’ and also on the breech, border engraved box-lock action signed ‘H. NOCK’ on an oval surrounded by stands of arms and ‘LONDON’ on an oval surrounded by stands of arms to the right, sliding thumb-piece safety catch that also locks the pan, (replacement top-jaw) slab sided walnut butt. In good clean order.
New pattern lock rejected by Ordnance in 1770. Gunlock smith. Made set of gauges for Gunmakers Company Proof House, 1781. Free of Gunmakers Co., by redemption 1784. Took Livery, 1795. Elected Assistant, 1798; Master 1802. Appointed Gunsmith-in-Ordinary to George III, 1789. In celebration of King's health recovery, displayed at Ludgate Hill 'an Imperial Crown, beautifully ornamented and very rich illumination of coloured lamps' (St. James's Chronicle, 25 April 1789). Made 7-barrelled rifled and pistol for Prince of Wales, 1790-2 (Royal Collection at Windsor Nos 154, 203). Contractor to Ordnance, 1771-1804; East India Co. (and Royal East India Volunteer Regt.) made 7 barrel guns, 1780; screwless lock 1786; wall piece, 1788; Duke of Richmond's Musket, 1792; Royal Horse Artillery Pistol, 1793...succeeded by James Wilkinson.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 1.5 Inches (3.81 cm)
Overall Length: 6 Inches (15.24 cm)