A Cased Pair of Carbine Bore Percussion Officers Pistol by E & W Bond, Circa 1850. With browned twist octagonal sighted barrels, signed along the top-flats ‘E & W BOND 45 CORNHILL LONDON’. With case hardened breeches decorated with scrolling foliage, foliate engraved tangs incorporating standing rear-sights, signed border engraved case-hardened flat locks with hammers decorated en suite, highly figured walnut full-stocks each with chequered rounded butts with vacant oval escutcheons and barrel bolt escutcheons, blued engraved trigger guards (both rubbed on the bows) decorated throughout with scrolling foliage and with pineapple finials, with blued ramrod pipes and fitted with captive ramrods: in original lined and fitted oak case with accessories including three-way powder flask, bullet mould and tools, the interior of the lid with the makers trade label (fitted upside down) the exterior of the lid fitted with flush fitting carrying handle. A very crisp set.
Bond, William [1768-1776]
William Bond was the founder of a family of gunsmiths in London and was active in gunsmithing until 1776. From 1776 to 1800 Philip Bond had a shop at 45 Cornhill, London. Made brass barrel flintlock pocket pistols with underspring bayonet, and flintlock blunderbusses with spring bayonet. Edward Bond at 45 Cornhill, London, was active from 1800 - 1830. Made flintlock holster pistols with swivel ramrod and double barrel flintlock carbines with top-spring bayonets. William Bond was located at 59 Lombard Street, London, from 1830 to 1850. Made cased percussion travelling pistols of fine workmanship. Edward William Bond (probably son of William) was active 1850 to 1861. Made cased percussion pepperboxes. Edward Bond was active 1861 to 1870 and Edward William Bond (probably junior) from 1870 to 1879.
A. Merwyn Carey (1954) English, Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers, Acro Publishing Company, New York.
Bore: 16 Bore
Barrel Length: 7 Inches (17.78 cm)
Overall Length: 12.5 Inches (31.75 cm)