A Superb Pair of Double Barrel Flintlock Pistols by Lott of Canterbury. With turn-off three-stage brass cannon barrels, decorated with border engraving toward the breech, and numbered beneath, ‘1’ ‘2’ ‘3’ and ‘4’, profusely engraved brass box-lock actions, the octagonal breech section numbered to correspond, one side signed on a scroll, the other with chequered steel cut-off lever, border engraved ring-necked cock and steel, sliding trigger guard safety Cath engraved with a flower heads on the bows, figured rounded butts with scrolling silver wire (retaining 90%) with ornate silver butt masks depicting a rampant lion in a castle. In lovely condition overall.
Made double barrel flintlock coach pistols with two hammers and two triggers. Also Naval boarding flintlock pistols with bell muzzles and spring bayonets. Shop in Reading, Berkshire.
A. Merwyn Carey (1954) English, Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers, Acro Publishing Company, New York.