A Cased Pair of Percussion Pocket Pistols, With round turn-off barrels engraved with geometric decoration around the muzzles and repeated at the breeches, stamped with London proofs beneath, border engraved box-lock actions decorated with sprays of foliage in the panels, sliding thumb-piece safety catches, beautifully chequered walnut butts, with silver lion mask butt caps, the pistols retain most of their original colour: in a fitted mahogany case lined in green baize, with trade label for 'Lacy & Reynolds' (1840-1853) retaining accessories including brass powder flask, turn-screw, barrel key, bullet mould and interestingly a bag of percussion caps with a hand written label.
The label reads: "Sir Please to use these caps in the bag No 29 A Joyces".
Lacy & Co [1776-1840]
Shop in London. Made flintlock holster pistols and flintlock muskets under Royal Government Contract. Later made double barrel, over and under, percussion pistols with swivel ramrods and belt hooks. Name changed to Lacey & Reynolds from 1840 to 1853. Made percussion pepperboxes.
A. Merwyn Carey (1954) English, Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers, Acro Publishing Company, New York.
Lacy & Reynolds
Successors to Lacy & Witton, Gunmakers at 13 Camomile Street., 1836; 21 Great St. Helens, 1837-52. Became Lacy & Co., 1853. Contractors to Ordnance, 1835-48; East India Company., 1844-50 and American Fur Co., 1835-40.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 2 Inches (5.08 cm)
Overall Length: 6 Inches (15.24 cm)