A Percussion Four-Barrelled Box-Lock Turn-Over Pistol by J. Lang, London, Circa 1850. With sighted hand-rotated one piece barrel block with four integral ribs and retaining traces of original finish, the ribs above and below engraved, ‘J. LANG 22 COCKSPUR ST LONDON.’ Decorated with scrolling foliage towards the breech, barrels numbered ‘5’ ‘6’ ‘7’ and ‘8’ and decorated with a spray of foliage at the nipples, profusely engraved action, grooved tang plate, with profusely engraved dolphin hammers en suite and held at half-cock by engraved safety catches, profusely engraved steel mounts comprising ovoid butt-cap with hinged circular butt-trap, and trigger guard profusely engraved with scrolling foliage, chequered highly figured walnut butt, vacant silver escutcheon. In good clean condition overall.
Joseph Gunmaker (opened as Gun & Pistol Repository from Wilson’s Warehouse, Vigo Lane) 7 Haymarket, 1925-52 (Shooting Gallery adjoining from 1827) 22 Cockspur St., Charing Cross, 1853-74. Became Joseph Lang & Sons, eventually amalgamating with Stephen Grant, Exhibited 4 and 6 barrel revolvers, Great Exhibition, 1851. Popularised the pin-fire breechloader. Died 1869.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 2.5 Inches (6.5 cm)
Overall Length: 7 Inches (18 cm)