A Percussion Pocket Pistol by W. Bond of London. With round sighted barrel, retaining much original colour, engraved, ‘LOMBARD St. LONDON’ foliate engraved tang, incorporating back-sight, stepped, bevelled lock, signed W.Bond, converted from flintlock, plain percussion hammer, full-stocked in walnut, cut with chequering a the grip, silver rectangular escutcheon, engraved butt cap and silver ramrod pipe, with engraved steel trigger guard decorated with stands of arms on the bow and pineapple finial, with original horn-tipped ramrod with worm.
Bond, William [1768-1776]
William Bond was the founder of a family of gunsmiths in London and was active in gunsmithing until 1776. From 1776 to 1800 Philip Bond had a shop at 45 Cornhill, London. Made brass barrel flintlock pocket pistols with underspring bayonet, and flintlock blunderbusses with spring bayonet. Edward Bond at 45 Cornhill, London, was active from 1800 - 1830. Made flintlock holster pistols with swivel ramrod and double barrel flintlock carbines with top-spring bayonets. William Bond was located at 59 Lombard Street, London, from 1830 to 1850. Made cased percussion travelling pistols of fine workmanship. Edward William Bond (probably son of William) was active 1850 to 1861. Made cased percussion pepperboxes. Edward Bond was active 1861 to 1870 and Edward William Bond (probably junior) from 1870 to 1879.
A. Merwyn Carey (1954) English, Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers, Acro Publishing Company, New York.
Barrel Length: 3.5 Inches (8.89 cm)
Overall Length: 7.5 Inches (19.05 cm)