A Percussion Officers Pistol by Moore of London. With sighted octagonal to round barrel, stamped ‘LONDON’ at the breech, foliate engraved tang and screw, signed and engraved lock, full-stocked in walnut (small cracks near the breech - see photographs) cut with a band of chequering at the grip, foliate engraved trigger guard, with stylised pineapple finial, captive ramrod.
Charles, Gunmaker, 2 Regent Circus, 1821-3; 34 Regent St., Waterloo Pl. or Regent Circus, 1823-5; 77 St. James’s St., 1825-42. Also at Kensington Gravel Pits, 1834; Place Vendome, Paris, 1835-8; 25 RueTronchet, 1840-5. Appointed Furbisher to St. James’s Palace & Hampton Court, 1829; Gunmaker-in-Ordinary to William IV, 1836. Made percussion pellet-lock guns marked ‘Charles Moore Patent’, based on W. Westley Richards’ Eng. Pat. No. 4611 of 1821. Succeeded by Moore & Woodward.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London 1350-1850, George Shumway Publishing, York, Pennsylvania, USA.
Barrel Length: 8.5 Inches (21.6 cm)
Overall Length: 13.5 Inches (34.29 cm)