A Percussion Duelling Pistol by J.C. Reilly of London. With sighted octagonal barrel, signed ‘Joseph Charles Reilly, 316 High Holborn London’ along the top flat and fitted with a rear-sight towards the breech, foliate engraved breech black with double platinum line and platinum vent, foliate engraved tang, the lock is signed beneath the hammer and decorated with scrolling foliage, fitted with a safety catch, cock decorated en suite, half-stocked in walnut, cut with a band of chequering at the grip, vacant oval escutcheon, with engraved steel mounts comprising butt cap, trigger guard and ramrod pipes, with brass mounted loading-ramrod. The pistol has ‘secret rifling’ that starts at the breech end and finished half way up the barrel.
J. C. Reilly
Joseph Reilly Jeweller 12 Middle Row, Holborn, 1816-35; Gunmaker, 316 High Holborn, 1835-47; 502 Oxford St., 1848-58. Because Reilly & Co., 315 Oxford St., 1859; re-numbered 277 Oxford St., 1881; taken over by E. M. Reilly & Co., 1889.