A Pair of 16-Bore Silver Mounted Flintlock Pistols by Wilson of London, Circa 1767. With swamped brass barrels, signed ‘London’ in an engraved loop on the top flat of the breech, stamped with London proofs and Wilsons barrel smith marks, foliate engraved tangs, signed stepped beveled locks, decorated with a band and signed WILSON on a foliate scroll, moulded figured walnut full stocks (minor chips, one fore-end with insert repair on one side) each carved in relief with a shell behind the barrel tang, full cast and chased silver mounts, pierced martial side-plates, spurred pommel caps engraved with martial trophies, the caps each with a grotesque mask, vacant martial escutcheons, silver baluster ramrod pipes, horn tipped ramrods. Silver hallmarked for London 1766-67 IK.
Richard born 1703. Apprenticed to uncle, Thomas Green, 1718; free of Gunmakers Co., 1725. Proof piece and mark, 1730. Elected Assistant, 1734; Master, 1741. Gunmaker, at the Fowler, Minories, took over business of Agnes Green, 1730. Contractor to Ordnance, from 1746; East India Co., 1733-6; Hudson’s Bay Co., 1730-56; Royal African Co., 1739. With son, William, became Richard & William Wilson & Co., 1757-9; Richard Wilson & Co., 1759-66. Died 1766.
William Son of Richard born 1732. Apprenticed to father, 1747; free of Gunmakers Co., 1754. Proof pieces, 1756. Elected Assistant, 1756; Master, 1760, 1769, 1772, 1774. Took Livery, 1778. Became partner with father, 1756. After fathers death in 1766, used same mark, traded as William Wilson & Co., 154 Minories, 1767-93; then as William Wilson & Son, 1794 until his death in 1808. Contractor to Ordnance, East India Co., Hudson Bay Co. and America. Succeeded by William.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.