A Pair Of 20-Bore Flintlock Silver-Mounted Pistols By Wilson, London Circa 1760, London Silver Hallmarks And Silversmith's Mark JA.
With slightly swamped two-stage barrels each engraved 'London' at the breech and decorated with foliage at the rear, grooved border engraved tangs decorated with foliage, signed border engraved rounded locks each with foliage on the tail, cocks en suite, moulded figured full stocks (one fore-end tip with old repair) each carved with a shell behind the barrel tang, cast and chased mounts comprising pierced trophy of arms side-plates and escutcheons, the latter each engraved with owner's initials 'JA', grotesque mask butt-caps, steel trigger-guards each with border engraved finial and decorated with a chequered oval motif on the bow, turned steel ramrod-pipes, and later horn-tipped wooden ramrods (steel parts with light surface patination), London proof marks and Wilson's barrelsmith's mark.
Richard 1 Wilson was apprenticed to his uncle Thomas Green in 1718. Free of the Gunmakers' Company in 1718 he was elected Master in 1741. He was Contractor to Ordnance from 1746, to the East India Company between 1730 and 1736, to the Hudson's Bay Company between 1730 and 1756, and to the Royal African Company from 1739. He died in 1766