With sighted octagonal barrel, signed ‘KNUBLEY - CHARRING CROSS - LONDON’ along the top-flat, decorated with a geometric band at the breech end, profusely engraved tang incorporating rear-sight, stepped signed lock decorated with foliage at the tail, fitted with sliding safety catch, full-stocked in walnut with raised moulding around the tang, with engraved brass mounts comprising long-eared butt cap, trigger guard engraved with a stand of arms on the bow and with pineapple finial, turned ramrod pipes and ebonies ram-rod, vacant silver shield-shaped escutcheon.
John Gunmaker, Otley, Yorkshire, 1771. Sword Cutler & Gunmaker, 11 Charing Cross, 1786-93; 7 Charing Cross, 1794. Gunmaker to Prince of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Prince Edward. Contractor to Ordnance (canon locks, trade muskets, pistols and broadswords), 1790-4. Business taken over by Samuel Brunn, continued under Knubley name until 1797. Succeeded by John Mallett.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 30 cm (11.80 Inches)
Overall Length: 45 cm (17.70 Inches)