A Flintlock Officers Pistol by H. W. Mortimer. With round barrel engraved along the top edge, foliate engraved tang, signed stepped lock fitted with sliding safety, with replace cock, a working life replacement, full-stocked in walnut, with engraved brass mounts, comprising trigger guard engraved with stands of arms and foliage, turned ramrod pipes, with horn tipped ramrod.
Harvey Walklate Son of Samuel Mortimer, born 1753. Apprenticed to father, 1772; free of Farriers Co., 1782; elected Assistant, 1807. Gunmaker, at Mr Greens ironmonger, 6 Kings Street., Lincolns Inn Fields, 1779; 89 Fleet Street., 1782-99. Appointed Gunmaker to George III, 1783. Contractor to East India Co., 1796-1806. Specialised in repeating pistols and gold mounted guns for the Eastern market. Advertised For the Inspection of the Curious, just finished, Three pair of Elegant Pistols, mounted in solid gold value 547 intended as a present to a foreign Prince, 1784 (Morning Herald, 20 August). Registered mark as small worker at Goldsmiths Hall, 1798. Made gold-mounted firearms set with diamonds for the U.S. Government as present for Bey of Tunis, 1801-2. Member of Law Association Volunteers, provided their muskets, 1803. His own musket in Inns of Court Museum, London. Became H. W. Mortimer, Son & T. Mortimer. Retired, 1811. Died 1819.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher.