A Flintlock Officers Pistol by P. Bond of London. With round barrel engraved P BOND CORNHILL LONDON and stamped with London proofs and Bonds own barrel sites mark, foliate engraved tang, Signed stepped lock, fitted with sliding safety catch, decorated with a spray of foliage at the tail, full stocked in walnut and cut with a band of chequering at the grip, brass trigger guard (repaired) turned ramrod pipes and horn tipped ramrod.
Bond, William [1768-1776]
William Bond was the founder of a family of gunsmiths in London and was active in gunsmithing until 1776. From 1776 to 1800 Philip Bond had a shop at 45 Cornhill, London. Made brass barrel flintlock pocket pistols with underspring bayonet, and flintlock blunderbusses with spring bayonet. Edward Bond at 45 Cornhill, London, was active from 1800 - 1830. Made flintlock holster pistols with swivel ramrod and double barrel flintlock carbines with top-spring bayonets. William Bond was located at 59 Lombard Street, London, from 1830 to 1850. Made cased percussion travelling pistols of fine workmanship. Edward William Bond (probably son of William) was active 1850 to 1861. Made cased percussion pepperboxes. Edward Bond was active 1861 to 1870 and Edward William Bond (probably junior) from 1870 to 1879.
A. Merwyn Carey (1954) English, Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers, Acro Publishing Company, New York.