A Flintlock Blunderbuss Pistol by Wilson of London. With three-stage octagonal to round barrel, belled at the muzzle, stamped with Birmingham proofs and fitted with a sprung bayonet above, plain border engraved tang, with bayonet retaining catch, stepped engraved lock, fitted with sliding safety (old replacement) cock decorated en suite (cock screw a replacement) full-stocked in walnut, cut with chequering at the grip, brass furniture comprising trigger guard decorated with stands of arms on the bow and pineapple finial, brass ramrod pipes and horn-tipped ramrod with worm.
Richard born 1703. Apprenticed to uncle, Thomas Green, 1718; free of Gunmakers Co., 1725. Proof piece and mark, 1730. Elected Assistant, 1734; Master, 1741. Gunmaker, at the Fowler, Minories, took over business of Agnes Green, 1730. Contractor to Ordnance, from 1746; East India Co., 1733-6; Hudson’s Bay Co., 1730-56; Royal African Co., 1739. With son, William, became Richard & William Wilson & Co., 1757-9; Richard Wilson & Co., 1759-66. Died 1766.
William Son of Richard born 1732. Apprenticed to father, 1747; free of Gunmakers Co., 1754. Proof pieces, 1756. Elected Assistant, 1756; Master, 1760, 1769, 1772, 1774. Took Livery, 1778. Became partner with father, 1756. After fathers death in 1766, used same mark, traded as William Wilson & Co., 154 Minories, 1767-93; then as William Wilson & Son, 1794 until his death in 1808. Contractor to Ordnance, East India Co., Hudson Bay Co. and America. Succeeded by William.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 8 Inches (20.32 cm)
Overall Length: 13 Inches (33.02 cm)