A Fine Pair of Flintlock Duelling Pistols by Wilson of London. With rebrowned twist octagonal sighted barrels each engraved 'Vigo Lane' in gothic script along the top flat, recessed patent breeches each with rectangular platinum-lined maker's stamp, platinum line and platinum-lined touch-hole, signed border engraved detented flat locks each retaining traces of case-hardening, engraved with a starburst behind the rainproof pan and with a martial trophy on the tail, cocks engraved en suite, steels each with pierced lip over the touch-hole, engraved safety-catches, and rollers each bearing on a ramp on the blued steel-spring, the internal working parts retaining nearly all their burnished finish, figured half-stocks with chequered rounded butts, blued border engraved steel mounts comprising foliate engraved butt-caps each with a flower-head centred on the retaining screw, trigger-guards each with a martial trophy on the bow (one with some pitting), trigger-plates each with pineapple finial, silver escutcheons engraved with owner's crest, silver barrel-bolt escutcheons, dark horn fore-end caps, and horn-tipped ramrods.
Alexander Wilson is recorded as having worked for both John and Joseph Manton. He set-up in business at 14 Tichborne Street between 1805 and 1811, and in June 1810 Joseph Manton brought an action against him for making double barrelled guns with elevated ribs which were protected by Manton's Patent No. 2966 of 1806. He was at 1 Vigo Lane, Piccadilly, between 1826 and 1829. See W. Keith Neal & D.H.L. Back, The Manton Supplement, 1978, pp.126-130 and p.174
Barrel Length: 10 Inches (25.4 cm)
Overall Length: 15.5 Inches (39.37 cm)