A Crisp Pair of Flintlock ‘Queen Anne’ Pistol by Gandon of London. With round three-stage turn-off cannon barrels, numbered, ‘1’ and ‘2’ and stamped with London proofs and barrel smiths mark, engraved with scrolling foliage around the breeches and signed ‘P. GANDON’ below and ‘LONDON’ above, foliate engraved tangs, border engraved actions and cocks (one cock with a small tear at the back) beautifully figured swelling walnut butts with raised aprons around the tangs (small piece of wood inlet into the stock), cast and chased silver mounts comprising grotesque mask butt caps and scrolling silver side-plates and escutcheons. A nice pair.
Peter Premises behind St. Martin’s Church searched by the Gunmakers Co. 1698. Granted naturalisation 1710. Gunmaker, corner of Coventry St. & Oxendon St. 1714; at Cross Guns, Coventry St., 1731. Free of Gunmakers Co., by redemption, 1720. Contractor to Ordnance, 1743.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.
Barrel Length: 7 Inches (17.78 cm)
Overall Length: 12 Inches (30.5 cm)