A Cased Pair of Percussion Officers Pistols by H.W. Mortimer. With re-browned round barrels, engraved ‘London’ along the top-flat and stamped with London proofs, stepped, bevelled locks, signed ‘H.W. MORTIMER’ converted from flint to percussion, full-stocked in walnut with smooth rounded butts, brass furniture including trigger guards and turned ramrod pipes: in original lined and fitted oak case (some scuffs to lining) with original trade label, with accessories including powder flask, bullet mould, cleaning rod and turn-screw, the exterior with flush fitting carrying handle and brass hooks.
Son of Harvey Walklate, apprenticed to father, 1791; free of Farriers Co., 1799. Gunmaker in partnership with father and uncle as H.W. Mortimer, Son & T. Mortimer, 1800-1807; with father as H.W. Mortimer & Son, 1808-14; own business as gunmaker, 89 Fleet Street., 1814-22; 4 East Street., Hoxton, 1823-4.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.