A Cased Pair of Percussion Pistols by Bond of London. With sighted octagonal barrels retaining traces of original brown, signed ‘London’ along the top flats, case-hardened breech blocks decorated with scrolling foliage, foliate engraved tangs fitted with raised rear-sights, line engraved locks decorated with sprays of foliage and sliding safety catches, signed ‘E. BOND’, half-stocked in walnut with horn fore-end caps, the grips chequered. Blued steel mounts comprising foliate trigger guards with pineapple finials and turned ramrod pipes, brass tipped ramrods; in original case lined in blue velvet with accessories including bullet mould, powder flask, etc.
Bond, William [1768-1776]
William Bond was the founder of a family of gunsmiths in London and was active in gunsmithing until 1776. From 1776 to 1800 Philip Bond had a shop at 45 Cornhill, London. Made brass barrel flintlock pocket pistols with underspring bayonet, and flintlock blunderbusses with spring bayonet. Edward Bond at 45 Cornhill, London, was active from 1800 - 1830. Made flintlock holster pistols with swivel ramrod and double barrel flintlock carbines with top-spring bayonets. William Bond was located at 59 Lombard Street, London, from 1830 to 1850. Made cased percussion travelling pistols of fine workmanship. Edward William Bond (probably son of William) was active 1850 to 1861. Made cased percussion pepperboxes. Edward Bond was active 1861 to 1870 and Edward William Bond (probably junior) from 1870 to 1879.
A. Merwyn Carey (1954) English, Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers, Acro Publishing Company, New York.