A Cased Pair of Flintlock Officers Pistols by H. Nock. With browned sighted octagonal barrels, with breeches signed ‘LONDON’ foliate engraved tangs incorporating rear-sights, signed stepped, bevelled locks fitted with sliding safety catches and engraved "NOCK’ full-stocked in walnut, cut with chequering at the grips and with engraved steel mounts comprising trigger guards decorated with foliage on the bow and pineapple finials and turned ramrod pipes, with original brass-tipped ramrods: in an associated lined and fitted case, with some accessories including powder flask, turn-screw and flints, with reproduction trade-label in the lids, the exterior of the lid with circular brass escutcheon (vacant). A good honest pair of officers pistols.
New pattern lock rejected by Ordnance in 1770. Gunlock smith. Made set of gauges for Gunmakers Company Proof House, 1781. Free of Gunmakers Co., by redemption 1784. Took Livery, 1795. Elected Assistant, 1798; Master 1802. Appointed Gunsmith-in-Ordinary to George III, 1789. In celebration of King's health recovery, displayed at Ludgate Hill 'an Imperial Crown, beautifully ornamented and very rich illumination of coloured lamps' (St. James's Chronicle, 25 April 1789). Made 7-barrelled rifled and pistol for Prince of Wales, 1790-2 (Royal Collection at Windsor Nos 154, 203). Contractor to Ordnance, 1771-1804; East India Co. (and Royal East India Volunteer Regt.) made 7 barrel guns, 1780; screwless lock 1786; wall piece, 1788; Duke of Richmond's Musket, 1792; Royal Horse Artillery Pistol, 1793...succeeded by James Wilkinson.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850. George Shumway Publisher. USA.