A Cased Percussion .577 Sporting Rifle by J. Blanch. With beautiful sighted round barrel fitted with ladder site and signed along the top flat at the breech, border engraved octagonal breech decorated with foliage and with pierced platinum plug, foliate scroll engraved tang, signed profusely foliate engraved signed lock, fitted with sliding safety catch, cock engraved en suite, profusely engraved steel mounts comprising numbered butt-plate and trigger guard (retaining traces of original finish) with stylised pineapple finial, horn fore-end cap, with original ramrod: in original lined and fitted oak case with some accessories including brass bullet mould, powder flask, cleaning rod, the interior of the lid with trade label, the exterior with brass escutcheon.
John, Born 1784, Apprentice to Jackson Mortimer, 1800; free of Farriers Co. 1811. Elected Assistant, 1827; Master, 1834. Married his masters daughter, Ann, and established business, 1809. Worked first for John Manton and then in partnership with father-in-law as Mortimer & Blanch, 1811-12. Gunmaker, 39 Fish St. Hill, 1813-25; 29 Gracechurch St., 1826-48. At 25 Hanover St. Camberwell, 1841 Census. With son William, became John Blanch & Son.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London 1350-1850. George Shumway Publishers, USA.